Antique Window Hardware

Quick Learner from Canada
Jul 26, 2024 9:56 am
Hi,

My name is David and my family has a cottage in North Western Quebec (Canada).

The cottage has old windows that are well over 50 years old.

Over the years some of the windows clips/guides (?) have broken and I figured after about 10+ years of rattling windows when the wind blows I should try and replace them.

However, I'm not sure how to find these hardware pieces (or if they even exist anymore) or what they are called.

I am looking for two different types of hardware.

Item 1. Sits on bottom horizontal part of window frame and when rotated it pushes a small rubber pad against window to keep it from rattling.

Item 2: secured to top horizontal part of window frame and seems to have a spring loaded small nylon wheel that presses against window, again to stop window from rattling in wind.

Questions:

1. Could you let me know what these items are called?

2. Do you sell or have any idea where I could buy replacement parts?

Thank you very much

PS - if it helps there is a mark on them saying "R. Belanger - 3427" but I suspect that company is long gone.
image0 - 2024-07-26T095224.449 image1 (76) image2 (40)
3 user uploaded images
4 Replies
Casey
Casey from SWISCO
Jul 29, 2024 2:24 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hello,

We'd be happy to look into this for you but, based on the age of the windows, it is more than likely that the original hardware is no longer made. I'm not sure if anything that we could supply would work as replacements but I'm going to have one of our senior experts take a look and see if they have any kind of workaround for your old style parts. We'll reach out as soon as more information is available. Thank you!

Paul
Paul from SWISCO
Jul 30, 2024 10:30 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Unforutnately, we were not able to locate the parts shown in your photos for your wood sashes. For the clip in your first photo, we have the 10-110 nylon latch that is spring-loaded which might be worth considering. This part is generally used for shower doors but it could still work depending on how the specifications compare to yours.

Alternate image for 10-110
Alternate image for 10-110

Interior detail of 10-110
Interior detail of 10-110

As for the second clip, it looks like a window lock similar to the 90-028 and 90-045. Note that they are made of die-cast material and have no rubber on the locking cam. Review the dimensions below to see if you could adapt one of these parts to work for your application. 

Detail of 90-028
Detail of 90-028

Dimensions for 90-045
Dimensions for 90-045

Quick Learner from Canada
Jul 30, 2024 11:19 am

You have just found yourself a new Canadian customer! In fact I just hit the "submit order" button.

I'll see if I can rubberize the window lock where it makes contact with the glass (use something like Pasti-Dip), but I'm not even sure that is necessary.

Great service and much appreciated.

D.
Paul
Paul from SWISCO
Jul 30, 2024 11:36 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

I'm glad that we were able to help and we appreciate your business! Just let us know if you have any other hardware questions down the line. 

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts