Awning window weather seal

Home Owner from Cheshire, CT
Aug 26, 2024 8:40 pm

I have awning windows that are about 45 years old. The weather seal around the glass is cracked and broken and needs to be replaced. I've looked at the weather seal that you have and the 3 ft. white strips look like they would work, but how do I get the damaged strips out? Do the new strips just snap in?

Any information on buying the correct strips and installing them would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

IMG_2343
1 user uploaded images
3 Replies
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Aug 28, 2024 11:48 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Thanks for reaching out! Can you confirm that this is weatherseal? The way you describe it, it sounds like it snaps over the glass, which sounds like glazing bead instead. This doesn't keep the weather out but instead holds the glass in the frame.

We carry a huge selection, which you can see here. As for removal, we have a few videos on the topic that you may find helpful.

If you can remove a clean and undamaged sample, please show me the end profile and I will do my best to find you a good match.

Home Owner from Cheshire, CT
Aug 30, 2024 6:07 pm

I wasn't sure what to call it, but it is glazing which snaps over the awning window glass. I was able to remove a section and have included a profile picture. It measures approx 3/4" across and 1/4" down. I took these measurements based on a diagram of the profile of the glazing I saw on your site. I hope it's pretty accurate.

Thank you for your help in getting the proper glazing,

Sandy

IMG_2348
1 user uploaded images
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Sep 3, 2024 8:26 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Great, thanks! This looks very similar to our 55-204. I think this is worth considering, at least, but my concern is that ours may be too tall at 11/32". You can review its specs below to verify.

Either way, this appears to be the best match in our inventory. The only other product that comes close is our 55-196, which is a little shorter at 9/32" but has a different leg. 

Profile view of 55-204
Profile view of 55-204

Profile view of 55-196
Profile view of 55-196

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts