Broken Clip on Channel Balance for Cascade split window

Home Owner from Spokane, WA
Aug 6, 2024 1:08 pm
Channel balance for a 52" x 28" Cascade split window. Metal length of this balance is 24". The metal clip on the pulley end of the balance that fastens to a hole in the window channel is broken (the attached picture is of an unbroken clip). I would prefer to buy extra clips if you have them for future breaks, but I'll buy an entire replacement balance if there aren't any of these clips available. Looking for part numbers for either, thank you!
rivetless top fitting rivetless bottom shoe butterfly clip 2DC83CD2-6D2C-476B-ABC7-45310A447991_1_201_a 7924C0D7-808E-4806-85C7-265D7A93FF2E_1_201_a
5 user uploaded images
5 Replies
Emily
Emily from SWISCO
Aug 8, 2024 10:44 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Thanks for reaching out to us. We sell the 62-108 butterfly clip. However, you must be very careful when replacing them. The cords are under constant tension and if you aren't careful they'll slip out of your grip and could even hurt you. Make sure to wear safety gloves and goggles before you work on these, just in case.

Otherwise, the process of replacement is pretty straightforward. You just need to pull the cord out a reasonable amount, secure it in a bench vice, then untie the old clip off and tie the new clip on. When you release the bench vice, make sure you have a very firm grip of the cord for the reasons mentioned above. You want to let it slowly retract back into the metal channel.

All that aside, if the metal clips are breaking then it may be a sign that the balances aren't far behind. Replacement may be something you have to deal with in the near future regardless of repairing the clips.

We can help replace the balance via custom order as well. The pulley wheel is built into the bottom fitting itself and this balance features an extended cord travel as well as a metal channel length ending in 7/8" which is what makes it custom. For example, the metal channel should measure 23-7/8" long. Let me know if you'd like to go this route. 

Aug 9, 2024 5:47 pm
Thank you Emily, I just ordered 5 of those clips and will save your helpful comments in case a new balance is needed for the future. One quick question: I lightly sprayed the channel and pulleys with white lithium grease. The balances operate smoothly now but they chatter something fierce when actuated in the window channel. Is there an easy way to quiet this down? Thank you for your help,

Jim
Emily
Emily from SWISCO
Aug 12, 2024 9:24 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

That's odd. Can you describe the noise? Did the window always make this noise when opening and closing the window? 

Aug 12, 2024 12:58 pm
As the window is moved up or down, there is a loud cranking, staccato chatter. It's actually gotten much less over the days. How do you lubricate these balance springs and pulleys, method and product? And do you lubricate the window channels as well?
Emily
Emily from SWISCO
Aug 13, 2024 10:29 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

You may want to check the channel and window for any debris or obstruction. We like to recommend white grease on the springs and silicone spray in the track for your existing hardware. 

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts