Cannot identified coil balance weight

Quick Learner from Brunswick, OH
Sep 5, 2024 1:22 pm
I believe this part is the Series 165 coil balance, but I cannot find a stamp to indicate the weight. Are you able to provide any guidance as if that is the correct coil balance and what the correct weight is? I am looking to order the entire coil balance assembly.
coil spring coil spring coil spring pivot shoe
4 user uploaded images
3 Replies
Emily
Emily from SWISCO
Sep 10, 2024 2:25 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hi there!

Thanks for reaching out to us. Can you show us the front of your pivot shoe? Is the width of the coil spring band 3/8" wide? 

To determine the proper spring weights, you'll have to divide the sash weight by the total number of springs in the window. Feel free to get back to us with the sash weight and we can calculate what you'd need from there. 

Quick Learner from Brunswick, OH
Sep 10, 2024 3:13 pm
Hi,

I attached a photo of the front of the pivot shoe as you requested. I also confirmed that the width of the coil is 3/8" and that the sash weighs 15.3 lbs and appears to have just the 2 springs, so I am assuming 7.5lbs balance weight should do the trick. I appreciate your help and let me know if you need anything else. Thank you!

John
pivot shoe
1 user uploaded images
Emily
Emily from SWISCO
Sep 11, 2024 8:29 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Thank you, John! The 15-199 matches what you show here. The S165 doesn't have a 7.5-pound option but you can use two S165-4 4-pound coil springs on each side of the window. This would total 16 pounds of overall support which should be fine for your sash weight. Since you're using two springs per side, see the 15-204 dual spring support. 

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts