Casement lock and screws

Quick Learner from Oakland ca
Jul 11, 2024 5:47 pm
Hi,

My window sash has a kind of internal looking lock keeper and the frame has cutouts to accept a lock and screws. What measurements do we need to identify a suitable lock? I should also note I have no screws
IMG_2490 IMG_2489
2 user uploaded images
5 Replies
Casey
Casey from SWISCO
Jul 12, 2024 1:13 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hello,

Your keeper resembles the 38-105 but, unfortunately, it is not used with one particular lock. Is there another window that uses the same type of hardware that you could show us to narrow down your options? Please also write out the exact distance between the lock installation holes in the window frame. Thank you! 

Dimensions for 38-105
Dimensions for 38-105

Jul 15, 2024 12:48 am
Ah, I did find another window complete! The distance is 2-3/8" and they are this style:
https://www.swisco.com/Window-Locking-Handle-Non-Handed/pd/Locks-for-Awning_Casement_Hopper-Windows/38-001
or this:
https://www.swisco.com/Casement-Locking-Handle-White/pd/Locks-for-Awning_Casement_Hopper-Windows/38-078
Would either work? (and why is one double the price of the other?)

I also need the screws if you have guidance on that.

Thanks!!!
Casey
Casey from SWISCO
Jul 15, 2024 8:43 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

It's possible that one of the locks that you found may be what you need but we can't confirm without seeing detailed photos of the intact lock. Screws are also not included with our locking handles since there is not a standard screw that goes with this type of lock. Different manufacturers use the same lock on their windows but use different screws depending on the window specifications. We generally recommend reusing the screws from the original lock they are replacing to install the new lock. If they are missing, I'd recommend bringing a screw from your intact lock to a local hardware store to match up a replacement.

Jul 15, 2024 4:52 pm
Gotcha, hope these help! The gap is 1/2" between the arm that goes behind the keeper and the frame
Image (1) Image (2)
2 user uploaded images
Casey
Casey from SWISCO
Jul 16, 2024 8:01 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Thanks for getting back to us. Your lock looks like a closer match to the 38-078 as long as the dimensions match up to yours. Just let us know if you have any other questions. 

Alternate image for 38-078
Alternate image for 38-078

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts