Certaineed window won't stay open

Home Owner from Downingtown, PA
Jul 1, 2024 4:01 pm

Hi - I have a 20 year old Certainteed single-hung window that won't stay open. I've attached a picture of the top and bottom coil springs before and after removal. I've removed all four. The top ones, located halfway up the window track, were screwed in and I pushed the bottom ones up the track to the opening for removal. All of the coils were exposed in the tracks which I notice is not the case on my other similar Certainteed windows. Can you please tell me the replacement parts I will need? Let me know if you need more information.

Thank you,

Steve

7C72A6F8-8F0F-4755-8C21-40EE804F2425 9362D8B4-E620-4536-A844-5FC9C84E9E64 image
3 user uploaded images
3 Replies
Lauren
Lauren from SWISCO
Jul 2, 2024 2:54 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hi Steve, thank you for posting,

Please review the style and dimensions of the 15-192 pivot shoe that is compatible with the Series 170 and Series 171 coil springs. Please note that some customers have had to shave down the aligners on the pivot shoe to fit into the window channel correctly. 

Also review the 15-157 balance drum and 15-156 spring cover. The original coil springs should have numbers stamped into the metal that indicates the weighted option needed. If there is no markings present, please provide the weight of the window sash to move forward.

Take a look and let us know if you have any questions! 

detail of 15-192
detail of 15-192

Home Owner from Downingtown, PA
Jul 10, 2024 4:23 pm
Hi Lauren - Thank you for your reply. I did not see any stamped numbers on the coil but the sash weighs 22 pounds. Please let me know if the parts you recommended above are still applicable for this setup and weight.

Thanks,
Steve
Lauren
Lauren from SWISCO
Jul 11, 2024 11:32 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hi Steve, 

The 15-192 pivot shoe would still be our best option, but we do not have a weighted single coil setup that would support 22 pounds. You would need to use a double coil set up.

We suggest stacking (1) S170-406 coil and (1) S171-405 on both sides of the window using the 15-156 cover and 15-157 balance drum. 

Please review and let me know if you have any questions! 

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts