Certainteed single hung vinyl windows

Quick Learner from NC
Jul 21, 2024 10:25 am
Hi, these windows were installed in the house when it was built in 1997. The pictures show the bottle shoe and the upper piece that I think is attached to a balance that is internal and not accessible that I can see. There is no break in the channel where the upper piece can be removed. When I removed the screw holding the upper piece it quickly went down under tension and I heard a sound like something unwinding. To reinstall the screw I had to force the piece back up and then hold it from goi g back down while reinstalling the screw. All these windows work hard, even after cleaning channels and Lubricating. I could use your help with determining how the balances work and whether they are replaceable. Thanks
IMG_4429 IMG_4428
2 user uploaded images
7 Replies
Bob
Bob from SWISCO
Jul 21, 2024 12:34 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hello there. This is a Certainteed Coil Balance system. The coil balances are springs that are inside that housing further up the window track. The coil tape runs along the side of the jamb track and connects to the pivot shoe. The tension in the spring is what enables the window's movement. The shoe is the 15-192. The coil springs are the Series 170 and (if there is more than one spring per side) the Series 171. The video below gives you an idea of how these parts come together.

If the windows move but roughly, you may want to remove the parts just to assess if any springs are starting to tear, of you need to clean the side of the window jamb where the coils run along. The video below shows how to remove and replace a different but similar coil balance assembly. Let me know if you have further questions about any of this hardware.

Quick Learner from NC
Jul 23, 2024 11:06 am
Thanks for the quick reply. Most of the coil pieces are located about halfway up the channel and none are connected to the pivot shoes. I think I will need to replace all but not sure why they all disconnected or broke but probably age related. (27 year old windows) I'll order a few and see how it goes. Thanks again for the advice.
Bob
Bob from SWISCO
Jul 23, 2024 3:21 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Awesome, sounds like a plan. Thanks for considering us and please feel free to reach out if we can be of any further assistance.

Quick Learner from NC
Jul 23, 2024 6:58 pm
Update; the coils are connected to the pivot shoes. However, after removing one of the coil assemblies and pivot shoes, and then reinstalling the pivot shoe without the coil assembly, the pivot shoe must be moved up or down in the channel with considerable force, even after cleaning and lubricating the channel. Have you seen this before? What is your advice? Thanks
Bob
Bob from SWISCO
Jul 24, 2024 10:00 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

If the shoe is unlocked, then it shouldn't require a lot of force to move it.

One issue might be the alignment "bumps" on the face of the 15-192 shoe. If your original hardware was made in the 90s, then there's a good chance the old shoe doesn't have those same bumps. They could just be getting in your way.

This happens quite often when repairing old Certainteed windows, but it's easy to fix. All you need to do is trim the bumps in question off to give you the clearance you need. I use a utility knife (make sure to wear safety gloves), but you can use any method that's easiest to you.

Quick Learner from NC
Jul 26, 2024 10:03 am
The pivot shoe does have the bumps so I will remove them and see if this makes them easier to move. Thanks again for your advise.
Bob
Bob from SWISCO
Jul 26, 2024 10:38 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Anytime! Please feel free to reach out if you had any other questions.

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts