Help to choose coil balance

Home Owner from USA
Jul 15, 2024 10:54 am
Please help to choose right coil balance for my window. Weight of the moving part is 13LB.
Attached are the pictures from the window.
If you have a good tips how to replace it ,please include them in the email. Thank you so much in advance.
pivot shoe Screenshot 2024-07-15 105409
2 user uploaded images
1 Replies
Emily
Emily from SWISCO
Jul 16, 2024 2:09 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hi there!

Thanks for reaching out to us. The 15-228 may be what you need. This pivot shoe is designed to use the 1/2" S160 and 3/8" S165 coil springs. The video below will show you how to remove your hardware by making a cut out in the window track.

Did you ever have trouble closing or opening this window? I ask because the old coil spring support is stamped "9.0LB". I'm assuming the support on the other side of the window is stamped with the same. That would mean the coil balances total 18 pounds of support which is too strong. 

If the window weighs 13 pounds and the spring band is 1/2" wide, you can use one S160-06 6.5-pound spring on each side of the window. This totals 13 pounds of overall support. 

If the window weighs 13 pounds and the spring band is 3/8" wide, you can use one S165-7 7-pound spring on each side of the window. This totals 14 pounds of overall support which should be fine so long as the coil weights total within a pound of the sash's actual weight. 

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts