Identifying Replacement Channel

Home Owner from Mission Viejo, CA
Aug 4, 2024 3:24 pm

Hi there,

I would like some help in identifying the appropriate replacement channels for my sliding window.

The stamp is for KP Caldwell 1940 so I'm pretty confident that this would be the 1940 option.

Looking at others posts, I've found the following two likely items:

S380-20

S385-20

The 1940 option is the one I would be getting but the part I'm having the most difficulty with is measuring whether I need the 1" or 1 3/32" for the balance shoe diameter.

I'm likely going to have to purchase both but any help from the experts would be appreciated. Thanks.

IMG_9627 IMG_9626 IMG_9633 IMG_9630 IMG_9629
5 user uploaded images
5 Replies
Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO
Aug 5, 2024 3:43 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hello,

Thanks for writing in! Your channel balances could possibly be the S380-20 or the S385-20, as you've mention but there is also another option. To determine which replacement is the best fit for your window, I'll need to see a photo of the pulley system in the center of the balance, where the spring and the string meet.

In regard to measuring the shoe depth, if the shoe is over 1" you can eliminate that as an option. Take a look at the diagram below for reference.

Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.

Aug 6, 2024 1:06 am
Thanks so much for the prompt response. I've attached the requested photo
IMG_9642
1 user uploaded images
Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO
Aug 6, 2024 9:54 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Thanks for your photo. The two balances you've identified would be the best options for replacement. Again, to narrow down which one you have, you'll need to confirm the depth of your shoe.

In regard to the stamp, the 1940 would be the correct option. Although, you may want to double check that your sash weight falls between 14 to 17lbs.

Aug 6, 2024 11:36 am
Thanks again for confirmation! Forgive the silly question but when we say window sash, are we referring to the window itself?
Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO
Aug 6, 2024 2:34 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Most consider it to be the window but the sash is the part of the window that moves up and down.

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts