MW Window Broken Latch Clip

Home Owner from Fletcher, NC
Aug 12, 2018 3:56 pm

Thank you for this site and for the option to post questions. I have twin seal single hung windows that have "MW" stamped on the latch. I'm not the original owner of this home that was built in 2001. Today there was a loud noise and I found the clip latch that creates spring tension broken at the top. It looks as if 26-200 screw plug and ss screw are what I need. I also need the seals for these windows. I've attached photos. Please verify the parts I need. While I see no condensation between any panes, I see the plastic parts are cracking, probably due to UV over time. Given the age of the windows, do I need to be thinking about replacement? Thanks for your help with this.

Marion

Window spring Window bottom seal Window balance clip Window seal bottom
4 user uploaded images
7 Replies
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Aug 17, 2018 9:46 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Thanks for posting! The 26-200 screw plug will fit in the hole where your old plastic hook went, but you'll still need something to screw to it. You may want to consider all new balances, especially since you described hearing a loud sound. What was the nature of this sound? Was it kind of a grinding squeal? I feel like maybe your balance spring might have failed. 

I can tell you that you have an old block and tackle rod balance, I just don't know exactly what type. You can see our entire selection here. All of our rod balances install at the top with a screw, so the 26-200 is definitely something you want.

The only caveat is that this style balance isn't made anymore, and a lot of our stock is dwindling fast. There's a chance we won't have the size you need. But don't worry, we have a modern substitute for each one. If you find that we don't carry your size, let me know and we can work from there.

As for the weatherstripping, I can't tell what you have from this photo. Would it be possible for you to remove an undamaged sample and show us a clear picture of its end profile? In the meantime, you can see our entire selection here

Home Owner from NC
Sep 4, 2018 8:30 am

Hi Tom

As you can see in the attached photo, the P shaped hook attached to the end of the string broke while the window was down. You can also see how the other plastic parts are cracking and this appears to be common among a few of the windows so that the cracking of the off-white plastic parts is the problem with these balances. It looks as if the plastic is still being used in the replacement S795 balances, but I don't see any other alternative. I see nothing on the existing balance to indicate length, so I have these dimensions:

Overall length of balance from base of shoe to top of gray tube is 34.25 inches. From the top of the plastic to base of the shoe is 16.25 inches. The shoe itself is 1.23 inches wide. The bottom sash is 36.1875 inches high. The top sash is 34.5 inches high. For now, I'll replace the balances in 2 windows. I have also attached an end view of the bottom seal. I'll need 2 of these for now. What parts do you recommend?

Regards,

Marion

Counterbalance & holder Window Seal Balance Complete
3 user uploaded images
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Sep 4, 2018 10:14 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

I'm afraid those measurements don't tell us what size you need. Do you have an undamaged balance you can measure from an identical window elsewhere in the house? If not, can you tell me the height of the visible glass for the sash these balances support? That will allow us to calculate length.

Home Owner from NC
Sep 4, 2018 11:57 am
Tom,

I've attached a picture of the sash and the installed balancer. The distance from the bottom edge of the sash to the top of the white plastic is 34.75 inches. The height of the visible glass, not including the sash frame, is 33 3/16 inches. The weight of the sash is 20 lbs. If you need additional info, let me know.

Thanks,
Marion
Sash Tilted Window
2 user uploaded images
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Sep 4, 2018 1:30 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Thank you! With that glass height, we recommend an S795-34 channel balance with a 34B stamp option. I think you'll also find this video helpful.

Home Owner from NC
Sep 4, 2018 5:16 pm
Thank you, Tom! It's good to finally know the replacement channel balance I need. Please verify the list of parts needed for the side of each window:

1 ea. S795-34 with 34B stamp option
1 ea. 26-200 screw plug
1 ea. #8 x 1" SS screw
1 ea. pivot bar that matches the length from the outer
screw hole to the outer edge of my existing bar

Can you tell from the picture I added earlier which bottom replacement seal I need?
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Sep 5, 2018 8:15 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Yep, that hardware all looks good to me! I'm not sure about the seal, though. Can you remove a sample and show me a clear picture of its end profile? From your photos, I think it may be bubble seal, but that's about all I can tell. You can see our entire selection here. If you cannot find a match in this section, it will at least give you an idea of what kind of information we need to find a match.

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts