Replacement Milgard Window Channel Balance

Handy Person from Dixon, CA
Aug 4, 2012 11:52 am
I have a couple of window balances to replace.

The metal portion is 21 inches long, not including the plastic ends. The metal portion is 0.5" wide by 0.625" deep.

The stamp reads "20 5 IW CMC 7".

It is for a Milgard, single hung, non-tilt window. The portion of the window that it lifts weighs 15 pounds. The actual dimensions of the window are: 27.25" wide by 23.25" tall by 1.375" deep, including the frame, but not the latch, or handles. The actual pane dimensions are: 24" wide by 19.625 high. The frame is white vinyl.

It is a double pane window and was made in 2004, or 2003.
User submitted photos of their Milguard window balance
3 Replies
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Aug 10, 2012 1:47 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Thanks for posting! It appears you need a new non-tilt channel balance. I am confident we can help; I just need to know a bit more information. Let's start with the bottom nylon fitting, or the shoe. Please take a look at our 15-004 and 15-005 channel balance shoes, and note their depths. The depth is the 'heel-to-toe' measurement, as illustrated by the picture below. As you can see, the shoes are 1-3/32" deep and 1" deep, respectively. Which one more closely matches your own bottom attachment? Let me know, and we'll proceed from there.

Comparison of 15-004 and 15-005
Comparison of 15-004 and 15-005

Handy Person from Dixon, CA
Aug 13, 2012 10:00 am
I've measured the end. IT is 1 - 3/32" deep.
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Aug 13, 2012 10:34 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Thank you. In that case, I believe you have our Series 385 Channel Balance, which uses the 15-004 1-3/32" deep shoe. You'll next need to determine the length of the metal channel, not including the nylon fittings at either end. You've indicated already that this measures 21"; if so, then you'll need the S385-21

You'll then need to choose a stamp option, which designates the strength of the balance. If your old balance was stamped 20 5, this suggests you should choose a stamp option of 2050, which indicates a balance that will support a window sash in the weight range of 23 through 27 pounds. However, I noted that you claimed the sash weighed 15 pounds; is that accurate? Did you ever have trouble closing the window or keeping it closed prior to the old balances failing? If not, and if you're uncertain about the weight, in general we recommend replacing the original stamp exactly whenever possible. Let me know if you have further questions. 

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts