Replacement Window Balance

Home Owner from IL
Jul 13, 2024 6:05 pm
I'm looking to replace my balances for a my single hung vinyl windows of an indeterminate age. The whole window is about 28"x68". I believe they currently have crossbow balances, so I was looking to replace with Series 795.

My question comes because the current length of the crossbow balance is about 32", but the end of the string screws in to the top of the window, 66" from the bottom of the sash. I'm not sure what size balance to buy and if I can screw the top of the new balance in lower down.

Bottom sash measures 27"x34.5", weights 16.4 lbs. Picture of the current pivot bar attached, and the space between the pivot bar screw holes is 5/8". Current balance shoe is 1.25" wide and I think open cam.
screw tab pivot bar blue crossbow shoe crossbow shoe blue crossbow shoe
5 user uploaded images
1 Replies
Emily
Emily from SWISCO
Jul 16, 2024 10:06 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hello!

Thanks for reaching out to us. The Series 795 channel balance can replace your old one so long as the spring diameter is 1/2". We suggest you confirm that to be sure. 

To determine the length, you'll want to measure from the top of the crossbow shoe to the top of the cap at the other end of the balance. It should end in a 1/2" length increment. We explain this around the 1:20 mark in the video below. I recommend watching this in full if you haven't already. 

The pivot bar will be the 26-021 based on the information you've given. You will also need the 15-195 shoe which comes attached to the Series 795 by default. 

Alternate image for 26-021
Alternate image for 26-021

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts