Replacement for Caldwell balance

Quick Learner from San Jose, CA
Sep 26, 2011 2:07 am
Hi,
I need to replace four Caldwell block and tackle channel balances that are about 15 years old. On the metal front there are printed numbers and letters "31 3 DQ Caldwell". Width is 1/2" and metal end-to-end length is 32". It comes with winged top and bottom pieces. I have attached 3 pictures to show the top, bottom and stamp.

Is S385-32 the right replacement part from your catalog?

Thanks.
User submitted photos of their 31 3 DQ Caldwell window balance.
3 Replies
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Sep 26, 2011 8:24 am
SWISCO
EXPERT
Good Morning,

I believe you are right. The replacement you need looks to be our S385-32 with option 3130.

Before you choose that balance series, I want to you make sure you do not have the S380. The only difference between the S380 and the S385 is the balance shoe attachment. The S380 features the 15-005 shoe and the S385 features the 15-004 shoe. Take a look at each of the product pages for those two shoes and make sure you do indeed have the 15-004.

Let me know if you need any help.
Quick Learner from Seattle, WA
Feb 7, 2012 1:03 pm
At this point I'm cross-eyed:
In measuring my existing shoe my best measurement is 2/32 ie. a little over an inch marker and wee bit less than 3/32. Given this scenario, would you go for a 15-005 or 15-004. Yes the devils in the details ...

Thanks!!!!!
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Feb 7, 2012 1:23 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT
Thank you for the information! With those measurements in mind, I would certainly go for the deeper 15-004, bottom balance fitting. Therefore, you should look at our S385-32 with the option 3130.
Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts