Replacement weatherstripping for casement windows

Quick Learner from Southern California
Jul 2, 2018 8:06 pm

Dear Swisco Customer Service Representative,

I am seeking replacement weatherstripping for wood casement windows that were new when installed in 1988. The operators were made by Kolbe & Kolbe and I have purchased perfect replacements for those from you previously (EntryGard Dual Arm Operator Product Code 39-031).

The weatherstripping is held in place by a groove on three sides of the window and appears to be some kind of latex or other rubber. It has been sun damaged and painted over, such that some windows don't close and others don't open.

I have attached four photographs. Image 2675 shows the empty groove of a window without weatherstripping. Image 2676 shows a similar view with the weatherstripping present. Image 2676 shows the weatherstripping being bent away from the window (highlighting the paint problem). Finally, Image 2678 shows the weatherstripping from the side partly pulled out at a window corner, exposing the pair of ridges that sit in the window groove and hold the round bead that does the sealing in place.

IMG_2676 IMG_2677 IMG_2678 IMG_2675
4 user uploaded images
7 Replies
Jul 4, 2018 4:11 pm

58-053 nd 1/4" deep and thus seems to fit the illustration of typical for wood windows.

Overall the seal looks like a match to 58-053. Flattened, as it mostly is, the seal measures 3/4" across. Using the measurements posted, it seems like 58-053 would also give 3/4." My only hesitation is that (after decades) the visible part of the seal sits wholly outside the retention slot, rather than symmetrically across the slot. However, the bubble appears to connect to the base directly, rather than with an extension as in 59-055.

Your advice?

Jul 4, 2018 4:28 pm
One further question (assuming 58-053 is a go). How do your recommend handling corners - cutting the seal and starting fresh on the next edge or, as was done for at least some of my windows, cutting the bubble but bending the "barbed" portion around the corner to keep a continuous piece for the three sides?
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Jul 11, 2018 8:18 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Thank you for your patience during this busy season. I cannot tell from your photos if our 58-053 is a match, but if you have confirmed that the end profile shape is the same then it should be good to go.

As for handling corners, one thing you could do is cut the seals at a diagonal angle so that they meet together at the corners. That's usually what I do.

Jul 11, 2018 7:33 pm
Thanks very much. Do you have any suggestions for how to clean the surface on the frame that will contact the new new weatherstripping. At present there is a combination of bumpy and sticky old paint, as well as lubricants of various types that the previous owner applied to try and keep things working.
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Jul 12, 2018 8:36 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

If I'm understanding, you are asking how best to clean the painted wooden surface of the frame. Correct me if I'm wrong. Cleaning wood versus plastic is going to be totally different.

Whenever you're cleaning a painted surface, you have to choose the method carefully. In doing that, you need to strike a balance between removing dirt and stripping paint. I'm not sure how much of that paint you intend to keep.

The most gentle method is warm water and soap, which probably won't remove heavier gunk, but will leave the paint intact.

The medium-strength method would be 70% isopropyl alcohol, the kind people use for first aid. That will generally leave the paint in place, but you have to be gentle and avoid letting the paint soak.

If you don't care about stripping the paint, for some reason, acetone will get everything off. Denatured alcohol probably would, too.

You can clean with soap and then dab with alcohol to get the gunk, or etc. See what combination works for you.

Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Jul 12, 2018 12:25 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

You're very welcome.

Jul 12, 2018 1:09 pm
Thanks again to both of you.
Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts