Tandem wheel assemblies

Quick Learner from USA
Aug 27, 2024 1:06 pm
Attached are pics of wheel assemblies that I am having trouble matching. I could have sworn you carried them at one time but I no longer see them on you site.
The distinctive feature is the two flared cut-outs on both lower sides of the assembly.
I have ordered a package of 1 1/8" wheels & several packages of misc rivets, but can't find a perfect fit. The wheels came with compression fitted axles that appear to be a bit too long for this application.
Do I just grind them down to fit ??? About 1/16" +/-.
Thanks so much for you feedback.

The 1 1/8" wheels are not the problem. It is the length of the axles provided with them that appear too long to fit up, into the housing when adjusted. It is those that I am considering grinding down but am afraid they might not securely handle the weight of the door. Would love to change out the entire tandem wheel assemblies, but it appears they are no longer available. I don't want to carelessly start rebuilding & risk rendering the original housings, unusable.
I'm stumped.
Thanks.
Roller1 Roller2 Roller3
3 user uploaded images
2 Replies
Emily
Emily from SWISCO
Aug 30, 2024 11:46 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hi there!

Thanks for reaching out to us. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with this roller. However, please let me consult one of our senior experts and we will reach back out once we have more information. 

Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO
Sep 3, 2024 9:06 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Looking at your roller and wheels it looks like you would be using the "semi-tubular" rivet which you will need to "mushroom" on the one end to secure it in place. After it is mushroomed in place, it should be possible to file down the ends to fit the roller housing. However, take a look at the two tandem rollers related on this page. The 81-175 looks like the housing matches up to yours, but it has a 1-1/2" diameter nylon wheel which might be too tall to get your door back onto the track. The other roller is the 81-056 which has a housing similar to yours. The 81-056 roller comes with either a 1" or a 1-1/4" wheel. Review the specifications for each and see if you think one of them could work for you.

Alternate image for 81-056

Alternate image for 81-175
Alternate image for 81-175

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts