exact block & tackle replacement part

Quick Learner from California
Aug 6, 2024 5:47 pm
I took off a broken block & tackle balance in a 20-yer in Milgard window sash. I easured it: its metal channel is 33" long, it is 1/2" wide (actually measures 9/16"), it has a printed stamp on it reading "32-4" and both plastic ends have wings. From your visual catalog, it seems that my Swisco replacement part is"
33" Series 385 Channel Balance S385-33
option: 3240
This is shown with attached plastic ends, both with wings.
There are various options given, it seems that 3240 corresponds to the stamp 32-4 on my original broken Milgard sash balance.
Is this the correct replacement part for me? Should I also order new Take Out Clip
16-002 this looks the same as what I have,

What exactly is the role of these wings? There are other balances with plastic ends without wings. Do these wings facilitate sliding smoothly in the channel and protecting it from the sharp metal edges of the balance?

There are neighboring windows whose balances still work despite age and sun exposure for 20 years. Some of these windows don;t slide up/down smoothly. Should their balances be replaced?

Thanks
7 Replies
Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO
Aug 7, 2024 3:11 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Thanks for posting! I'm happy to take a look into this to confirm if the two balances mentioned are the correct replacements, but I'll need to see a photo of the existing hardware removed from the window. I am especially looking to see photos of the top and bottom attachments from the balance.

The wings help to guide the balances in the window channel when opening and closing the window.

If the take our clips are still in working condition, then you may not need to be replace them but you'll need to make that determination. It isn't always a requirement to replace them but it wouldn't hurt.

Regarding the balances from the other window, if you are experiencing issues with opening and closing the window, you'll likely need to replace them; ultimately, you need to examine your windows to determine if they do need replacing.

Please don't hesitate to reach out with any other questions you might have in the meantime.

Aug 7, 2024 8:07 pm
The broken balance was discarded after taking it off. I noted the stamp on it: it was: 32 4. it was 1/2" wide, 33" metal channel length, it had plastic ends with wings (both plastic ends had partly broken wings). I regret I can't take photos. It would have to be from another window (which I don't want to remove just to take photo). so it is stamp 32-4 (32 4), 1/2 inch wide, 33" channel length of metal part excluding the plastic ends, both plastic ends have wings. Based on this, please indicate your best assessment of the replacement Swisco balance part.
Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO
Aug 8, 2024 10:18 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

May I please see a balance from a similar window? Unfortunately, I would not be able to confirm if either of the options you mentioned are the correct replacement without seeing the photos.

Please let me know if you have any other questions in the meantime.

Aug 11, 2024 2:24 pm
I took off the window sash and removed the 2 balances and the guide at the top of the sash.
Note that the stamp on both balances is: "32 4 EV CMC 7". One is stamped in ink. The other has an engraving, which is visible in the photo.
I measured the metal length as 33" and channel inner width as 1/2".
One balance has both plastic ends intact. The second balance has the plastic top end one wing broken off. One window sash end (sash cam) is intact. The second one is broken.
Please recommend the Swisco replacement balance and sash parts for this Milgard circa 2003 installation window.
bottom-string-pulley-hook stamp-32-4 top-broken-wing-broken-guide
3 user uploaded images
Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO
Aug 12, 2024 9:09 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Thanks for the photos. It does appear that either the S380-33 with a 1" shoe or the S385-33 with a 1-3/32". You'll need to double check the measurement for the depth of your shoe to confirm if the S385 is the correct replacement. 

You would need to select the 3240, as you mentioned.

Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.

In regard to the top sash guide, your exact guide is no longer made but our 18-009 should work well as a suitable alternative. You'll need to shave down the tabs on the top of the guide so that it will sit flush with the sash. That said, please be aware that altered parts cannot be returned.

Detail of 18-009
Detail of 18-009

Side view of 18-009
Side view of 18-009

Aug 12, 2024 5:10 pm
Thank you for the prompt reply. I measured the plastic shoe as 1 3/32" SO the correct part for me is S385-33. Are the top shoe, bottom 1 3/32" shoe and rivets sold separately? If so, what is their part number (also for the rivet). This is for quick local shore replacement/repair in case the shoes break or snap in the near future. I would keep a few of them as spare, so also the sash guide 18-009. I am also ordering replacement take-out clips 16-002 since the original clips are partly corroded. I plan to replace at least 10 pairs of old sash balances and sash guides.
Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO
Aug 13, 2024 8:15 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

The balances come fully assembled but the attachments can be purchased separately. They are the 19-005 Channel Balance Top, 15-004 Winged Channel Balance Shoe, and the 62-005 Rivet.

All of these items can be purchased directly on the website by adding them to your online cart.

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts