replacement operators for Marvin casement windows

Home Owner from Bethlehem, PA
Jun 21, 2013 4:07 pm
Hello -- I need to replace the operator for 3 Marvin casement windows. In all 3 cases the handle has come off and won't engage with the mechanism, and in one case the cartridge (?) has come out as well. One of the windows is open and won't close. All 3 are horizontally-opening windows, i.e., they rotate along the top (horizontal) edge.

I'm a novice in window repair and a semi-novice in home repair in general, but willing to learn, especially if it will save me some money vs. having a window company do it.

I'm not sure exactly what parts I need, or even how much of the mechanism needs to be replaced. Any help you can give will be appreciated. Thanks!
User submitted photos of a window operator.

5 Replies
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Jun 24, 2013 11:33 am
SWISCO
EXPERT
Good morning! Thanks for posting. You will definitely have to replace the operator whose "cartridge" has come out. The gears in that one are stripped. As for the other two, I'm not sure why the handle came off. Could it just be the handles, or is the bore stripped? You may not have to replace the operator.

In either event, check out our 39-015 Roto gear window crank and our 39-114L crank handle and let me know if you think this hardware could replace your own. Make sure to carefully compare all the dimensions we list.
Home Owner from Bethlehem PA
Oct 9, 2013 8:48 pm
Hi Tom, I really appreciate your answer although I am just now getting around to trying to fix this. :\

How do I open the window frame to remove or examine the operator to make sure the dimensions match the one you linked to? I seem to remember you have a nice tutorial on this somewhere on your site but I can't find it now.

Thanks,
LS
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Oct 10, 2013 9:24 am
SWISCO
EXPERT
To remove the operator, you will have to carefully pry up the wooden trim that's covering it. It shouldn't be a problem, just do everything you can to make sure you don't crack the trim.
Home Owner from Bethlehem, PA
Oct 14, 2013 3:44 pm
Thanks, Tom -- but I'm really not sure which piece(s) I should be removing. Nothing has much give when I tug on it and I don't want to just start prying stuff up. Any suggestions?

I'm attaching a couple of pictures, including one from the outside. I labeled a couple of spots on one of them -- maybe you can use that to tell me which part to remove. Thanks!
User submitted photos of a window operator.
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Oct 15, 2013 2:09 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT
You need to pry up whatever is directly covering the screws. It's hard to tell based on these images, but once you have access to the screws, you should be good to go.
Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts